Here is a little secret that can clear your head, clear your heart and get you centered and energized. It’s called Alternate Nostril Breathing (Nadi Sodhana). I often do it in the car when I’m waiting to pick the kids up from school, or if I’m on my way to a meeting. It’s great for overwhelm and to reset yourself. It also activates both hemispheres of the brain and optimizes creativity and logic/verbal processing.
I’ve given up worrying that passersby might think I’m picking my nose.
I suggest that you practice this at home for the first few times and really learn the technique. And then take this pranayama with you for a test drive. If you have a cold or sinus issues wait to try this till it’s all cleared up.
1. Sit in a comfortable seated position, and notice a few breaths.
2. Hold your right hand up and turn your pointer and middle finger down, curling them into your palm. This leaves the thumb and ring and pinky fingers available.
3. You will use your thumb to close your right nostril and your ring and pinky fingers to close your left nostrils.
4. You will begin by covering your left nostril first and inhaling (slowly- 2 counts) thru the right nostril.
5. You will then close the right nostril and with thumb and hold the breath (for 4- 8 counts, depending on experience level).
6. Then release the ring and pinky fingers from the left nostril and slowly exhale (4 counts.)
7. Inhale in the left nostril, close the left nostril and hold for 4-8 counts before releasing the thumb and exhaling out the right nostril.
8. Inhale in the right nostril, hold and repeat exhale and inhale on the left side.
Enjoy your positive energy!